Wednesday, February 24

The Goldilocks of Bibles

Hey there, friends. All two of you that still read this here blog-aroo.

When I became a Christian, I got a NIV Bible. It was pretty. Then, when I was 15 or so, I got a snazzy "TrueLoveWaits" Bible. True Story. Then I got the Collegiate Devotional Bible when I graduated high school. About five years ago, I upgraded to an NIV Study Bible. It was great. No complicated diagrams, or colorful inserts. Just good stuff. I mean, I enjoyed my "themed" Bibles but hopefully we all outgrow that at some point...
Anywho, I recently discovered the ESV translation. Man, am I a fan. For Christmas in '08 I asked for only one gift. This big guy - the ESV Workout Bible. It weighs in around 5 pounds. That's a lot of "Word." So, when the campus bookstore marked down these nifty little compact ESV's to 5 bucks, I got one! It was great. I had the monster truck size, and the jiminy cricket size.
One problem.
One requires that I lift weights on a regular basis, and open slowly in service so as not to cause a tsunami when I flip it open.
The other requires a magnifying glass.
I needed some kind of a compromise. I can't believe I'm saying this, but it was time to get another ESV bible. So... I did my homework and picked out this number-





















I almost got the ESV Journaling Bible, but decided I'd like to just journal, and leave this one unmarked (since all of my other Bibles are really marked up). A moleskine journal is on its way as well.

I think it's kind of ridiculous to have this many of the same translation, but I'm excited to get a size that's just right.

P.S. Personal update: I appreciate everyone's prayers for me and my family. It's been a long, hard couple of months, but I know that God is faithful to heal and restore us. We miss my sister, and to be honest, some days the loss overwhelms me. Still, I know that I am not alone. I know that God is glorified and gracious. I am grateful for the time he allowed me to have with Michelle. Really, truly grateful. And I have some pretty amazing friends who have lifted me up in prayer, listened to me, loved me and encouraged me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you said is true and made me smile & cry :-) LOVE YOU, meeeeeeeee

pili said...

:) i got the esv journaling bible for christmas. i loooove it. but this one looks like a sturdy yet stylish companion as well. hope you are well.

pili said...

ps/ that true love waits bible is unparralelled in awesomeness cover art and completely conspicuous connotations. sheesh.